Roof Care for Proactive Homeowners in Portland
Depending on the type of roofing system you have, you should be able to get at least a good 20 years from an asphalt shingle roof, and it's longer for other types of roofing material. Of course, all of that is only true if you stay current with maintenance and repair needs. At RJ Roofing, our job is to take the best professional care possible of you, as your roofing contractor. However, as the homeowner, there are a few things you do as well to help ensure high performance and optimal longevity.
6 Ways to Keep Your Roof in Tip-Top Shape
Your home is your biggest investment, and the roof takes care of it. Don't you owe it to your roofing system to be set up for long term success?
- Cut back those trees: Sure, having trees as part of your landscaping beautifies, offers shade, and even oxygenates your home and property. However, overgrown limbs can wreak havoc, as well. As the limbs grow, they can tear at the shingles. Large branches that hang over the rooftop pose a threat of falling and causing serious damage.
- Get regular inspections: A common mistake homeowners make is waiting for repair needs to develop instead of going the preventative route. When you get regular inspections, it enables you and a professional to have a good idea of the current condition of your roof. That means you can make repairs or stop repairs from developing in the first place. It's good to get your roof inspected in spring and fall and after any severe storms.
- Take care of your gutters: People tend to forget that gutters are part of the roofing system you have in place. Problems with the gutters can result in major issues for your roof and even your home. That's partly because clogged gutters end up sending water to the foundation and that's a threat to the foundation and the overall structural integrity.
- Take care of leaks ASAP: A leaking roof doesn't necessarily signal that you need to completely replace it, but you should get it addressed as soon as possible. The longer you let the leak continue, the more likely the damage will spread and cause larger issues.
- Check the valleys in your roof: Valleys, or the angled intersection between two sections of roof in a "V" shape are some of, if not the most common places for leaks to occur because that's one of the main places water goes during a storm.
- Regularly clear ice buildups: Keeping your roof clear of ice patches will go a long way towards extending the life of your roof. If left alone, the ice can easily build up under the roofing material, shingles, gutters, etc. and cause serious problems. Proper maintenance and care can protect your home from this problem.
Keeping your roof in top shape is one of the most important parts of being a homeowner, and our team at RJ Roofing are ready to assist you. Whether you need maintenance services, repairs, or a complete replacement, our expert technicians can help.
We look forward to being your Portland roofing contractor of choice. If you’re looking for a professional roofing contractor in the Portland area, then please, call us at (971) 252-7079 or complete our online consultation form.
Lifetime Workmanship Warranties
Best Guarantees In The Industry
Locally Owned & Operated
Rated Top 1% Roofing Contractor's In The North West
Properly Licensed & Insured
30+ Years of Experience
Do Yourself A Favor- George D.
Very Happy- Justin T.
Absolutely Recommend- Daniel C.
Stand Behind Their Work- Ryland K.
A Fantastic Experience- Wendy P.